Dating is exciting and fun! It can also cause you to be a bit nervous meaning you may be preoccupied and forget some simple, important things like your dating safety. It's a bit like when people go on a foreign holiday abroad and because they are having lots of fun, are excited and perhaps a bit nervous, can completely forget about how important their passport is and end up loosing it! So it's really important to not forget about the risks and your safety when dating and meeting someone for the first time. But not to worry, there's some simple and easy things you can do to reduce your risks when going on a date. Simple things such as, just telling a friend or family member that you are going on a date, where the date is, when the date is and how you're getting there and back home after the date.
Safe dating warnings
Online dating can have lots of advantages however unfortunately a downside is that, as with a lot of things that are internet based, it can be difficult to check and verify that the information about a potential date from someone that you have met online is correct and not misunderstood or misleading.
Unfortunately this can potentially lead to some people taking advantage of this weakness in the internet and not being truthful or as sincere about the information they give out.
For these uncertainties and for the benefit of your friends and family who will worry about you, follow some simple steps before meeting up face-to-face with someone you don't know or have met online. This is by no means a definitive list but will hopefully give you a few tips about trying to ensure your date goes safely.
- Let a friend or family know who you're meeting, where, and timings and what time you expect to be back home - use our free tool below
- Try and meet in a place you feel comfortable with the surroundings or if that's not possible try and visit the meeting place beforehand
- Make sure you take a mobile phone with you in case you get into difficulty, and check your mobile is charged up, or better still take your battery charger with you discreetly.
- Send a text message once you've met up with your date to someone you know so that they know the date has started ok. This may be difficult if you wanted to do this subtly but instead you could tell your date you are letting someone know you are safe as it would be reasonable to expect they would understand the importance of this.
- Don't forget to tell your friends or family that you have arrived back safely from your date
For more information these web links might be able to provide some guidance:-
Dating online safety tips
Your dating safety starts before you've met up. So be careful what data you share online and how much
- Your online dating profile (some online dating profile tips might be a help) is a great way to tell people a bit more about ourselves but we want to be careful with how much personal data we share. Online dating profiles are also publically viewable meaning they can seen by anyone. So it would be worthwhile not putting sensitive information or personal details such as your home address.
- Avoid online dating scams. These can be where you've built a relationship with someone online, they have built an amount of trust with you and then unfortunately take advantage of that to try and use the things thry have learnt about you to scam you.
Dating safety at Christmas
This is a great time of year for meeting someone new and finding your perfect match.
People can be in better spirits with the thought of holiday time coming up and time off work, lots of nice food to eat and plenty of opportunities at parties and events to get to know people better and to meet new people.
However with all these nice thoughts don't forget your safety on dates. You may be going on more dates this time of year and with the excitement of going on the date you might forget to look out for your safety. Here's some things to remember:
- Tell a friend or family member who you're meeting, where you're going, and what time you'll be back.
- Try and meet in a place your comfortable and familiar with and know your route home.